Situations Where Pond Saver Should Not Be Used

There are a few unusual situations where Pond Saver® should not be used. These are listed here.

Some Fountains

Small fountains inside an outdoor pond are not a problem. They produce very little aerosol (spray), and it does not travel far. Fountains and very large outdoor water spouts, like the fountain at Point State Park, in Pittsburgh, which shoots 50 to 100 feet into the air, should not be treated with Pond Saver. This is a public health issue. Ordinary, otherwise harmless bacteria can be harmful to a small segment of the population, if the bacteria are inhaled in significant quantities as a liquid aerosol. The segment of the population at risk involves those with a compromised immune system including the following types of people:

  • Transplant recipients taking anti-rejection drugs.
  • Cancer patients receiving regular chemotherapy.
  • Persons with HIV (AIDS).
  • Hyper-allergenic individuals.

Therefore, the production of large amounts of droplet aerosol mist carrying artificially high bacteria levels (as with Pond Saver use) should be avoided. This would include most indoor fountain situations, and a few unusually massive outdoor fountains.

Generally, an outdoor fountain that is not associated with a pond is not a good candidate for Pond Saver treatment anyway. Typically, these involve chlorinated water, and/or they have a cement bottom with no sediment. The use of Pond Saver can create a small amount of sediment. This sediment may be aesthetically undesirable in a pristine cement fountain pool.

The presence of a fountain in a pond is not a problem, unless the fountain is indoors, or is quite massive, creating an unusually high amount of aerosol mist. In these two situations, bacterial treatment should be avoided.

UV Light or Ozone Sanitizers

Some artificial decorative ponds contain a filter system that has an ultra-violet light or ozone sanitizer built into the system to kill off algae or otherwise sanitize the water. The ultra-violet light or ozone also kills the Pond Saver bacteria. Pond Saver can be used if the ultra-violet light or ozone system is turned off for the season.

Human Drinking Water

Pond Saver is not for use in water intended as human drinking water, such as reservoirs.While the bacteria are considered harmless, the addition of Pond Saver will make the bacterial counts very high. Typically, drinking water is tested periodically for bacterial counts. It should not surprise anyone that the bacterial test results for water treated with Pond Saver would go beyond the normal range for drinking water. In addition, there are particular legal considerations regulating the treatment of drinking water. Pond Saver has not been tested or registered for this use. PHC does not want to get involved with liability issues related to drinking water.

Ponds treated with Pond Saver are safe for use as animal drinking water, including wildlife and farm animals. It is also safe for water used in irrigation.

Ponds With High Inflow and Outflow Rates

If the water in the pond is rapidly replaced due to a high water flow in and out, then the bacteria population is rapidly reduced soon after the product is added. If the flow is too fast, then the bacteria will not be able to replace their losses fast enough to compensate.In addition, new nutrients flow in as fast as the bacteria can consume them. As a rule of thumb, if more than 10% of the total water is replaced each day, then Pond Saver may not work. Replacement rates between 5% and 10% may require more frequent application.

Chlorinated Water

Chlorine at high levels kills bacteria, and at lower levels it inhibits their growth. Therefore, Pond Saver will not work in chlorinated water. However, water left standing out in the open will rapidly lose its chlorine. Therefore, ponds initially filled with chlorinated tap water usually have very little chlorine left after 24 to 48 hours. (Sunlight dramatically speeds up this loss of chlorine.) However, people often replace lost or evaporated water in their pond with chlorinated tap water. This replacement water gets rapidly diluted in the pond.Whether or not the chlorine in the replacement water will affect the bacterial populations depends on how much chlorinated water is added at any one time. If 25% of the water volume in a single day comes from chlorinated tap water, then the bacteria population may be significantly inhibited. If less water is added per day, then the chlorine is probably too dilute to matter. This assumes that chlorine levels of the tap water are within the normal range for municipal tap water. If higher levels of chlorine are present, then this 25% rule of thumb does not apply.